Blog 2

(V + R picture)

According to my V + R picture, Instagram, WeChat and kakao talk are social media that are used for personal reasons and leave social traces. The main reason why I use them is to use these social media to chat with my friends and publish my latest daily photos. LinkedIn, zoom and work email can leave social traces, but they are usually used for work. Usually I use them to study or work.Twitter is somewhere in the middle. Netflix and Wikipedia can be used for private purposes without revealing traces. Because often we only read some information and videos on it. UVic mail is used for work without exposing traces.  Google search and Youtube are in between. Because the use of these two websites is not only to learn, but also to see some entertainment information. UVic library belongs to institutional, but between visitor and resident. Because I need to log in to view some information which will expose my search trace. But some materials can be viewed without logging in.

What digital platforms are students currently using to develop their professional network?

First of all, I think students will use some social digital platforms to develop their professional network. Through these platforms, students can communicate with their learning partners after class and make progress together. Specific software: Instagram, Facebook, etc. In addition to communicating with their classmates, students can also join some professional discussion groups on Facebook, pay attention to some predecessors on Instagram, and then learn more professional knowledge other than textbooks.In addition to this kind of method of learning more knowledge, students also use some digital platforms to help job seekers. For example: LinkedIn. Students can look for job opportunities on this platform, show their abilities and characteristics, and then get new jobs.Gmail is also a digital platform often used by students. We can communicate efficiently and professionally with professors and schools through e-mail to solve our problems in time.

What could the student consider in expanding their professional learning network?

I think students need to consider the security of the network and the authenticity of the content in expanding their professional learning network. Since learning professional information and seeking career opportunities are serious things, and you may need to expose your privacy when applying for a job. The information provided by the platform must be accurate and not misleading. In addition, you need to pay attention to the security of your information, avoid the exposure of your personal information and professional works, and avoid plagiarism and harassment.

In your network how can you create a digital identity/ reputation?

I will create a digital identity by registering an account on Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn and filling in some information about myself to introduce myself. Where I introduce myself, I can introduce my basic information, such as age, gender, hobbies, educational background, internship experience, project experience, etc. This will be a good opportunity for me to show my strengths and keep in touch with others. In addition, I also need to pay attention to my speech acts on each platform, which can not be offensive or false, so as to maintain my reputation. This will ensure that I will not be considered a rude person.

Discover what an employer would find based on your V+R Map about you, if you applied for a job with them?

When my employer finds my personal account according to the V & R map, they can have a better understanding of my hobbies and personal experience. According to my LinkedIn account, they can learn about my educational experience and the internship projects I have participated in. In my Instagram, they can see the photos and videos I share, and find that I am a person who likes delicious food. On my Facebook, they can find that I have joined many groups about pets, which can show that I like animals very much.

1. jiayir

Hi Yuqing! Information safety is really important! Most Internet users have no privacy in front of some people. Many people don’t pay attention to protecting privacy when using social media software, add unfamiliar friends at will, and some unconsciously tell their names, positions, work units and other information when chatting. Some people often expose their train tickets, boarding passes, places of travel and delicious food in the circle of friends, inadvertently revealing their personal information. These are all very unsafe behaviors.